What your donations have accomplished in 2013 and 2014, Heroes Among Us has:
- Purchased and donated 20 guitars for a new program to teach returning Heroes how to play guitar and to fill their significant downtime with purposeful activities;
- Provided the travel costs of an Ohio based Hero to travel to Weston, Mo for a memorial walk for a fallen brother;
- Covered mortgage payments for wounded Hero that had significant home damage due to gas explosion in basement. They needed the support due to waiting for insurance settlement;
- Made car payments for Hero returning from Afghanistan and had fallen behind;
- Purchased roundtrip airfare for very deserving local Hero with severe PTSD to visit grandparents in Syracuse, NY that he had not seen in years;
- Working with another Hero support group to re-side and re-roof the home of a severely burned Hero; ***COMPLETED SIDING AND ROOF FOR THIS YOUNG HERO AND HIS FAMILY WITH A LOT OF HELP FROM THE OTHER SUPPORT ORGANIZATION AND A LITTLE HELP FROM MS. REBA MCENTIRE
- Purchased a SleepNumber bed, with support from another veteran suport organization (HOOAH), for a paralyzed Hero. READ HIS STORY BELOW;
- Provided back-to-college expenses for daughter of wounded Hero;
- In March, very successful Hero's Pheasant Hunt for 30 wounded Heroes; 500 pheasants became meals.
- Covered the hotel rooms for family members to visit a severely wounded Hero at KU Med Center
- Our GOD, GUNS AND AUTOMOBILES book signing event went exceedingly well, raising nearly $1100. Mark Muller and his staff at Max Motors were very gratious and generous with their time and effort. A huge Thank You to them all. You can see Mark Muller (brother of Mancow Muller, a syndicated radio personality) on youtube.
- In November, Heroes Among Us sponsored a wounded veteran pheasant hunt for 25 vets. It was videoed and due to appear on the OUTDOOR CHANNEL sometime in the spring of 2015.
- Project "Polar Express Christmas" for meals and Santa toys for wounded veteran's children in December. 28 families, with 76 children enjoyed a visit from Santa and Mrs. Santa Cluase, conductor for the Polar Express (set built by the Kansas State art department), snacks and photos with the Clauses'. Families took home 300+ toys to open from Santa.
TOTAL SUPPORT, SO FAR IN 2013 and 2014, HAS EXCEEDED $80,000 IN CASH AND IN-KIND DONATIONS!!!
Supporting our local Heroes. Donate and/or join in.
HEROES AMONG US is a not-for-profit organization that's sole purpose is to provide assistance for the bravest among us. LOCAL men and women who have patriotically and voluntarily risked all to provide you and me with the defense of our freedom that is so easily taken for granted.
We are not a national Warrior support organization. Our goal is the support for active and veteran heroes that are from or reside locally.
Guitars for Heroes - ongoing
Santa Claus for Hero's kids (We have 25 families and around 70 kids)
3rd Annual Veteran and First Responder Benefit Hunt - 15 March, Ravenwood Lodge, Topeka Kansas. Benefitting family of fallen Officer Jason Harwood and their travel to DC in May for National Law Enforcement Memorial
Let us NEVER forget the sacrifice and courage of these young men and women.
Check out one of America's finest below. Army: Sgt. Seth Kotouc
Seth Kotouc, also known as SGT K, is a US Soldier who was injured on September 22, 2012 while deployed to Afghanistan. Insurgents shot a rocket at the Forward Operating Base (FOB) where Seth was working that lodged and exploded in the building where Seth was working. The attack on the forward operating base (FOB) resulted in shrapnel that destroyed Seth’s L2 vertebrae, paralyzing him, and another piece of shrapnel that went completely through his right palm, causing severe injury. After receiving life saving care from soldiers who were in the immediate area, he was evacuated via helicopter to Bagram Air Field where his condition was stabilized and was prepared to travel to Germany. The brave men who were the first to help Seth literally saved his life by stopping severe bleeding, stabilizing his spine and, most extraordinarily, used their bodies to shield him from potential further injury during another incoming rocket attack.
READ LAURA'S (SETH'S WIFE) ENTIRE BLOG @:
Also, view his Facebook page: